I’m new to lots of things and blogging is certainly one of them.
I should have been a little more organized in my before and after approach to this project. For instance, I forgot to take a before photo of the bike assembled. And it didn’t dawn on me to take photos of the crank until I was half way through the front portion. The next post should be slightly more focused on the process.
But for the crankset I simply used a liberal amount of WD-40 and a 2.5 inch cupped wire brush attachment on my cordless drill (pictured below).
At any rate, here are the before and after photos of the crankset:
A few weeks ago, I went up to my wife and proudly announced that I had a made a decision. She’d heard this one before. Gas prices had pushed me too far. I was going to start riding my bike to work.
But fearful of my trusty road bike’s inability to handle the jagged and dangerous terrain that lay between my house and the office, I convinced myself I needed another kind of bike. After all, I’d need a ride that could stand up to some loose rocks, bumpy sidewalks, a few grassy patches and possibly a broken bottle or two.
Like I said, “dangerous terrain.”
Anyhow, knowing that my dad had an old steel 10-speed job from 1975ish collecting a good amount of rust and cobwebs, I was able to skip past scouring Craigslist and thrift stores.
Which leads me to initial point this blog.
I thought it would be somewhat amusing to document my attempt at restoring this old 10 speed bike. I’ve already disassembled the ole’ gal, but before and after photos of the elements should still provide some good documentation.
I guess we’ll see how this all pans out.